Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rust-oleum Cabinet Transformation Steps in the Process

Rust-oleum Cabinet Transformation

Steps in the process and personal suggestions when using this product.

My kitchen required refinishing of 20 cabinet doors and 7 drawers and one butcher block island. This process was done by one person, except for the reinstallation of doors, which took two people.  The timeline provided is based upon 1 person doing all the work.  The more hands available the better.

Supplies:  Basically, the supplies list provided by Rust-oleum Cabinet Transformation was accurate, but I would add paint pads.  They recommend 2” brushes, I found the brushes did not work as well as the paint pads. I used different size paint pad, one narrow to hit the areas inside the frame at the cabinet doors.  The top coat was the hardest, always check for drips after any finishing. Do not try to use the topcoat brush/pad for long period of time without changing out the brush/pad. I found from experience that the topcoat dries on the brush, leaves specs of dry topcoat.

Day 1 Wash with soap and water all cabinet doors, drawers and frames while still attached. For old, heavy grease cabinets I found that “Purple degreaser” found in the automotive department, the best damn product to remove grease. 4 hours
Day 2  Remove all cabinet doors, drawers and hardware and clean under the hardware. 5 hours
Day 3 Degloss doors and drawers and use wood filler on holes, scrapes. Sand smooth. 7 hours
Day 4  and Day 5 Degloss frame and butcher block. 4 hours
Day 6 Basecoat all cabinet doors backs – 2 coats and drawer faces – 2 coats. 5 hours
Day 7 One basecoat frame and butcher block . 5 hours
Day 8 2nd basecoat frame and butcher block and 1st coat cabinet doors front side. 6 hours
Day 9 2nd basecoat of cabinet door fronts. 2 hours
Day 10 topcoat doors and drawers 7 hours
Day 11 Topcoat frame and butcherblock. 5 hours
Day 12 Hardware on doors, handles, hinges and reinstall doors, drawers. NOTE: I used next size up of screw for cabinet door hinges. I went to Lowes and bought #6 screws, ¾”. My worry was that reusing the same holes would make the doors more likely to pull out of the hole. I did predrill the holes to make screwing the hinges on easier. 4 hours, 2 people.

My next issue was the cabinet drawers were worn and wood chips wearing away. I went out and purchased clear plastic corner wall protectors, self sticking. See my YouTube video on this project



Before and After images






No comments:

Post a Comment